Spring is here and it's a great time to clean out the clutter, refresh your living and work spaces, move some LOOT and get paid in the process! Over the years I've helped countless clients de-clutter their homes and offices and earn cash by selling or consigning their items.
As great a concept as it is, consigning comes with its own drawbacks, mainly transporting the items you wish to sell. When I consign clients' clothing, I load it into my car and deliver it to the consignment store of my choice. That's not such a hardship, consigning home and office furniture and accessories, is a much bigger deal.
Typically we have to hire a truck and some young burly men to come load the items onto the truck, deliver them to the store, then unload the items on-site. All this time and labor costs money, sometimes several hundred dollars, for my clients.
Until now. A few weeks ago I was contacted by a company called MoveLoot. They were just about to launch their super cool consignment service in Atlanta and they wanted me to know in advance. It was a secret then, but now it's out of the bag!
You can SELL your furnishings on MoveLoot or you can BUY furnishings. Or both!
Here's how it works:
1. Sign up for a free account at MoveLoot.
2. Photograph each item you'd like to submit for consignment.
3. Upload your photograph(s) to the website (or you can do it through the iPhone / iPad app)
4. Describe and price your items, OR let MoveLoot price them for you!
4. Wait for MoveLoot to either accept or decline your item(s).
5. If your items are accepted, MoveLoot will send a truck and two young burly men to come pick up your items and take them to their local warehouse, where they are cleaned, photographed and listed on their website for sale to the public. (Yes YOU are the public, so buy some cool new stuff!)
6. When your items sell, you get 50% of the selling price.
Way easier than paying up front to hire a truck on your own huh?
Another bonus you get as a seller? If you elect to leave the proceeds from your sales in your MoveLoot account rather than taking a cash payout, then you receive 70% of the selling price instead of 50%! Pretty smart idea. This means when you use your "Loot Bucks" credits to buy from the site they're worth more than if you had paid cash. #Genius
MoveLoot is currently operating in San Francisco, Raleigh NC, Charlotte NC, and Atlanta and a little birdie told me they have plans to expand to other cities soon! What have you been thinking of consigning?